I was recently asked for some lunch ideas. Specifically, lunches to bring to work. Are you tired of your lunch routine too? Have you resorted to frozen lean cuisines or grabbing an expensive sandwich at that shop around the corner? Alright, well I have some ideas for YOU.
A little prep-work ahead of time:
1. Chili: Make a big pot at the beginning of the week and divide into plastic containers for easy grabbing in the morning. I made a really easy pot of “chili” on Sunday night that I am actually just calling a stew because it has random ingredients (aka whatever I had on hand). I threw in several kinds of canned beans, canned diced tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce, frozen bell peppers, frozen corn, a chopped onion, and 2 packages of chicken sausage (sliced). I do not have an exact recipe for you because I just combined everything with some spices (cumin, paprika, garlic powder, oregano) until I got the consistency and taste I wanted. Really, you can’t go wrong.
3. Frittata- full of protein and fiber, this isn’t just a breakfast dish!
4. Grown-up PB&J: Almond or peanut butter and honey sandwich (try toasting whole wheat bread first) with slices of banana. Add a side of 50% reduced fat Cabot cheddar cheese and fruit
5. Yogurt parfait- layer plain yogurt (I love Stonyfield farm plain), frozen fruit, oats or whole grain cereal, and honey. The frozen fruit will thaw by lunch.
7. Pita Pizza- Make a bunch and freeze them for a ready-to-microwave lunch.
Super quick and easy:
1. Soup and Veggies: Can of soup with a bag of frozen, microwave-steam-able vegetables added. I like to crumble some Spelt pretzels (more fiber and protein) in too.
2. Bagel w/toppings: Whole-grain bagel with sliced avocado, tomato, and onion, and hummus.
3. Rice and Veggies: Grab a bag of Steamfresh brown rice and the Steamfresh Asian medley and microwave!
I would love you hear your creative lunch ideas! Please share.