Pies, breads, egg nog and cocktails abound during the month of December. Come January, people everywhere assess the damage and start setting goals. Consider giving healthy treats and goal-supporting gifts that friends and family will appreciate this season and beyond. Here are some of the ideas I came up with (and please share your own!):
1. Edible Arrangement: The bouquets of fruit are pleasing to eye and make a perfect host/hostess gift or present to a boss or coworker. Set it on the countertop, appetizer table, or use it as a centerpiece and guests will keep coming back for skewers of the fun-shaped fruit. Or, have one shipped to friends and family across the country.
2. Harry and David Fruit of the Month Club: I won this in a raffle one year and will never forget how delicious the fruit was or how exciting it was to find their beautiful boxes on my doorstep. The boxes arrived each month with carefully packaged and always perfectly ripe fruit. The full-year subscriptions are a bit pricey, but the 3 month subscriptions are reasonable. They even have an organic option!
3. Tea Forte: This tea may be the most delicious I have ever tasted and they are local to Boston! (Concord, MA). They aim to “capture the art of tea” and I think they succeed with the creative combination of flavors- white ambrosia, ginger pear, lychee coconut, blueberry merlot, apricot amaretto- and with packaging. Who knew a tea bag could look so pretty in a mug?
4. New Balance Baby Sneaks: There are sneakers for the infant that likes to do laps around his crib to the toddler that takes off running just about anywhere. This gift will encourage physical activity at a young age while giving the gift of style- and what baby doesn’t want to be the most stylish one on the block? I am not a mom yet, but I am thinking the velcro is a non-negotiable.
6. Vitamix: If you are a reeeeally awesome gift giver and are looking for something substantial for someone on your list, this is it. The Vitamix machine is about 10 different kitchen appliances in one. Like smoothies? the Vitamix will blend anything you throw in it and create a perfect smoothie every time (no leftover chunks of fruit at the bottom). Homemade soup, peanut butter, and grain grinding are some of the other things this amazing machine can do. I’ve had mine for about 3 years and I love it so much that I recently became an affiliate. So, if you decide to buy one, you can receive free shipping through me if you click on the picture below.
7. Lift Ticket: I just purchased some new ski gear and am excited to get back to the slopes after years but what is up with lift ticket prices?! I have found a few deals on Liftopia and have put this on my list for Santa. This would make a great present for the skiers or boarders in your family.
8. Snowshoes: Give the gift of massive calorie-burn with snowshoes. According to Harvard Medical School, snowshoeing for a half-hour burns 210 calories for a 125-lb. person, 260 calories for a 155-lb. person or 311 calories for a 185-lb person. That is almost 45% more calories burned then walking or running at the same pace.