Let me count the ways in which I love this recipe:
1. It is EASY. It takes only 10 minutes to prepare. Even the kids can make this one.
2. It is a healthier alternative to the famous Rice Krispy Treat. These healthier treats have a remarkably similar taste but use more wholesome ingredients like whole grain cereal, peanut butter, honey, vanilla and dark chocolate. It is important to remember that these are still a sweet treat though. I am also thinking they would make nice energy bites for a long bike ride due to their simple & complex carbohydrates and protein.
3. They will satisfy your sweet tooth without artificial colors, flavors or additives.
I hope you enjoy these! Let me know what you think.
Brown Rice Crispy Treats
A healthier take on a classic treat. Sweet, nutty and crunchy.
- 3 cups brown rice crispy cereal (Rice Krispies makes a gluten free version that is made with brown rice and there are several other brands of brown rice crispy cereal available at most grocery stores)
- 1/3 cup peanut butter (choose natural, or homemade peanut butter (it is easy to make in a good food processor just grind whole roasted peanuts))
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4-1/2 cup semi-sweet dark chocolate chips (choose chocolate with at least 70% cacao for maximum nutritional benefit)
Nutrition (per serving): calories: 163 | fat: 7 grams (5 grams of good, unsaturated fat, 2 grams of bad, saturated fat) | protein: 4 grams | fiber: 1 gram
||Put the peanut butter, honey and vanilla into a small sauce pan and heat over low heat until the mixture is syrupy. It takes just a minute or so. |
||Lightly Spray a large mixing bowl and add the brown rice crispies, honey-peanut butter mixture, and dark chocolate. Combine all of the ingredients with a spatular or spoon making sure that it is evenly mixed. |
||Transfer to a sprayed 8 x 8 dish and pack down firmly and evenly. |
||Refrigerate for at least one hour before cutting into squares. |
Now, on to the WINNER of the “The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Acid Reflux” and the $10 Whole Foods Gift Card (to make the Tummy Soother Granola). Congratulations to Meredith M.! I will be in touch with you shortly. Thank you to everyone who participated. I have lots of contest ideas in the works so stay tuned!